Friday, February 5, 2010

Intersections Staff: Kara Barnes

An Interview

Jacqueline Lawton: What is your job for the INTERSECTIONS Festival?
KB: I am the Director of Development for the Atlas Performing Arts Center, so I help build financial support for the Atlas and its INTERSECTIONS Festival.

JL: Who are your heroes?
KB: My Dad (I know it’s a clichĂ©, but it’s true!), the Vietnamese Buddhist Monk Thich Nhat Hanh, and the late Samuel Mockbee, the architect/teacher who created the Rural Studio in Hale County Alabama …there are many more, but I’ll stick with the first three that came to mind!

JL: If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
KB: I’d be in Rome at a trattoria in the Trastevere neighborhood.

JL: What is your favorite quote?
KB: Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? – from the poem The Summer Day by Mary Oliver

JL: Why did you want to be a part of INTERSECTIONS?
KB: I love that INTERSECTIONS puts forward in a significant way the extraordinary and diverse artistic talent in the DC area. These are the performers I want to see and celebrate.

JL: What do you think will be cool about the festival?
KB: Seeing crowds of people of diverse races, ages and cultures enjoying the numerous CafĂ© Concerts in the Atlas’ Kogod Lobby…the innovative programming occurring on the Atlas’ stages…audience members being inspired by some of DC’s finest emerging artists

JL: Finish this sentence: I am an intersection of ...
KB: small town America girl and global citizen or apple pie and baklava.

No comments:

Post a Comment