Monday, February 1, 2010

Intersections Artist: Og Ceol with Oran Sandel and Tom Teasley

An Interview with Jamie Sandal, Malinda Malineka Reese of Og Ceol and Oran Sandal

Jacqueline Lawton: What type of artist are you?

Jamie Sandal
I'm an unformed artist - one who is constantly looking for "his art". I create visual pieces, act and play music in order to improve myself and communicate with those who share my passions.

Malinda Malineka Reese:
Irish flute player, singer, actress, dancer/choreographer, film maker. I like doing lots of things.

Oran Sandal:
I am primarily a theater artist, which is why playing Irish music with young people is such a special new focus for me.

JL:Who are your heroes?
JS: Those who create incredible pieces of art or processes of creativity that speak to people's emotions, and at the same time serve to educate them or motivate them. Musical theater visionaries like Jonathan Larson and Lin-Manuel Miranda accomplish this, as well as people like my parents.
OS: Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Ghandi, Martha Graham, Rebecca Rice, Roberta Alexander, Leonard Bernstein, Viola Spolin, Keith Johnstone, to name a few.
MMR: Matt Malloy, Eva Cassidy, Karan Casey, Sam Tsui (The Duke's Men of Yale), Sutton Foster, my parents and lots of other awesome artists.

JL: If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
JS: I'd love to be anywhere on the cliffs in Ireland. It's a country that can always inspire you, no matter what.
MMR: I would either be in New York because I love the action in the city, or I would be taking a break in Dingle or Doolan, Ireland, jamming with the musicians there. And watching out for the "hilly sheep" on the cliff sides "that look like they're going to drop right on to your car."
OS: Brazil, state of Bahia, city of Salvador.

JL: What is your favorite quote?
OS: To be nobody-but-yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day,to make you everyone else, means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight and never stop fighting.
-EECummings
JS: "Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.
MMR: "We're theater people. We understand everything.....except math....2+2......stage left?


JL: How do you feel your performance fits into the festival?
MMR: Jamie, Oran and I will be playing with Tom Teasley, who apparently plays the Irish drum, the bodhran, but he uses a middle eastern fingering technique. We also play some non-Irish stuff as well.
JS: I'm an amateur musician, but I carry a different perspective of an old tradition. I feel like the music I play still holds great weight in a contemporary setting, and I think that it can help other performers look at their own art in a different way.

~~
Og Ceol with Oran Sandel and Tom Teasley
Two Café Concerts featuring a duo of young traditional Irish Musicians intersecting with guitarist Oran Sandel on eclectic acoustic sets. Look for world percussionist Tom Teasley to sit in, too.
Saturday, Feb 27 at 4:00 PM & at 6:00 PM
Kogod Lobby
Free
For all ages

No comments:

Post a Comment