Friday, February 5, 2010

Intersections Staff: Jennifer L. Nelson

An Interview
Jacqueline Lawton: What is your job for the INTERSECTIONS Festival?
Jennifer L. Nelson: I served as a consultant in the planning phase and as one of the proposal review team that selected participants.

JL: Where were you born? How did you end up where you are now?
JN: I was born in Cleveland. Came to Washington from California in the 70's to work with the Living Stage Theatre, Arena's former community outreach program. Didn't intend to stay more than 2 years....

JL: Who are your heroes?
JN: My heroes include Paul Robeson, Langston Hughes, Elizabeth Keckly, Robert Alexander (Living Stage), my parents, my sister, Abe Lincoln, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger....artists who care as much or more about others than themselves.

JL: If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
JN: Maybe an elephant or a humpback whale: big, smart, compassionate.

JL: If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
JN: Somewhere warm near the ocean.

JL: What is your favorite quote?
JN: “What a wonderful privilege, to be allowed to breathe. To see. To feel. To smell. To love. It’s baffling, the sweetness of what we’re allowed.” Jack Gilbert

JL: Why did you want to be a part of INTERSECTIONS?
JN: I'm a believer in the arts being an active part of community life for people of all ages and backgrounds. I love that the Atlas has that as part of its mission.

JL: Finish this sentence:
JN: I am an intersection of history.

No comments:

Post a Comment