Friday, February 5, 2010

Haitian-American, Kathleen Gonzales, dedicates her festival performances to Earthquake Relief

A Letter
On January 12th, 2010 a 7.1 magnitude earthquake ripped the lives of millions of Haitians apart, killing approximately 200,000 people and injuring thousands more. You've heard Anderson Cooper talk about the "stupid death" he saw all around him in the days following this horrific event. People who survived the earthquake were dying of infection and lack of medical care all around. People who had no injuries were on the way to death with no food or water.

My initial reaction to this event, as a Haitian person with strong ties to my native country, was to find out if my family was ok. We heard from some right away, thanks to the internet. Others, we waited days to find out their status. Miraculously, no one in my family was injured, although what they have witnessed has changed them forever.

I felt so helpless. I wanted to do something for my people. I dropped everything to be able to help with the relief efforts. I knew I had no medical skills to contribute, so I busied myself with what I could do here in the US to impact my country -- volunteering for the earthquake kit drive at the Embassy of the Republic of Haiti, translating SOS text messages from Haiti so that relief workers who only spoke English could understand and respond to them, and finding flights for doctors, medical supplies and food, etc. January went by in a strange "too fast, yet not fast enough" way. Before I realized it, the end of January had arrived and February began, and I received an email reminding me about a meeting that was scheduled for the preparation of my one woman play THE BRIDGE OF BODIES, scheduled to be performed starting February 19th in Washington, DC!!!!! For a split second the words "I can't" popped into my mind. Those words were quickly replaced with "I MUST". I must perform my play which is about the journey a young woman takes to rediscover herself, her culture and her country of origin- HAITI.

So it is officially on -- again! I have re-focused my relief efforts towards performing my play in order to raise money for the people of Haiti. As an artist, it is my responsibility, my obligation and I gladly and humbly demand it! Please come and see Haiti through the eyes of Marie-Therese, a Haitian-American woman, who returns to her native country after leaving at the age of six, to uncover the mystery of why she left.

I thank you all for your support. I ask that you continue to support the relief efforts by coming to see this play. Proceeds will go towards Haiti earthquake relief efforts.

In Service,
Kathleen Gonzales


THE BRIDGE OF BODIES
A Haitian-American Tale of Self and Cultural Discovery

February 19-21 and 26-28 @ Intersections - A New America Arts Festival
Atlas Performing Arts Center
Washington, DC


For Tickets click HERE
www.KathleenGonzales.com

1 comment:

  1. Kathleen, We are proud to present your show at this time and to support you in your work for relief, recovery and rebuilding.

    ReplyDelete