Monday, January 11, 2010

Intersections Artist: Ekene Okobi

An Interview

Jacqueline Lawton: What type of artist are you?
Ekene Okobi: I am a multi-media story-teller.

JL: If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
EO: I'd either be an owl, because I'd get to stay up all night and fly, or a dragon, because I could fly and breathe fire.

JL: List five words that describe your personality.
EO: enthusiastic, impatient, stubborn, inquisitive, sensitive

JL: What is your personal theme song?
EO: It changes every day, today is "Frank Mills" from the musical Hair, but it usually alternates between Frank Sinatra's "My Way" and "That's Life"

JL: What do you think will be cool about the festival?
EO: Access to so many amazing artists under one roof. Oh, and the dance parties!

JL: How do you feel your performance fits into the festival?
EO: It is about my immigration assimilation experience as a woman in limbo, haunted by the drums of my ancestors, but not always being able to understand what they're saying.
~~
Ekene Okobi
The Sound of the Drums, a documentary exploration of identity through drumming by a first generation Nigerian-American filmmaker.
Sunday, Feb 21 at 5:00 PM
Lang Theater
Tickets: $5
For audiences ages 12 and up.

www.ekeneokobi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment