Friday, January 8, 2010

Intersections Artist: Joy of Motion Dance Center's Youth Dance Ensemble

An Interview with Alexandra May Ballance (Age 11)

Jacqueline Lawton: What type of artist are you?
Alexandra May Ballance: I am a dancer and choreographer. I also enjoy photography, writing/poetry and quilting. All of these are forms of art which allow me to express my feelings and thoughts.

JL: Who are your heroes?
AMB: I think soldiers are heroes because they fight for and protect our freedom. My role models are my mom, dad, grandmother, grandfather and uncle. My mentors are Helen Hayes and Cassandra Queally. I am grateful and thankful that they are in my life.

JL: If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
AMB: I would want to be a mythical creature – a dragon. I always wanted to fly, be big and breathe fire. I like dragons because they are graceful, powerful, wise and mysterious.

JL: If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
AMB: I would be on a roller coaster or in dance class with my friends.

JL: List five words that describe your personality:
AMB: Humorous, adventurous, brave, smart and caring

JL: What is your personal theme song?
AMB: One of my favorite songs is “It will be me” by Melissa Etheridge.

JL: What is your favorite quote? I have three favorite quotes:
AMB: Dance like no one is watching. Dance is a language. Dance up to God.

JL: What is the best advice you have to give?
AMB: Live like every day is your last

JL: Why did you want to be a part of intersections?
AMB: I have choreographed a piece for a junior in high school. I am eleven years old. Our paths crossed because of our passion and commitment to dance.

JL: What do you think will be cool about the festival?
AMB: I think meeting different people and learning about their art forms will be awesome.

JL: How do you feel your performance fits into the festival?
AMB: My piece is thoughtful – it is called Mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes no matter their age, beliefs, sex or culture. I think people should learn from their mistakes. You don’t want to be afraid of making a mistake. If you live your life worried about making a mistake you will never try, you will never learn and never succeed.
~~

Joy of Motion Dance Center
Dance Discovery, a kaleidoscope of dance styles from DC’s award-winning dance center’s youth ensembles tackling “intersections” in life and art.
Sunday, Mar 7 at 5:00 PM
Lang Theater
Tickets: $15
For audiences age 6 and up
http://www.joyofmotion.org/

20 comments:

  1. Alexandra May Ballance - what a gem of a person! Just reading her responses makes me want to see her
    choreographed piece "Mistakes"- I can only imagine her thoughtful spirit permeating this piece. I'm convinced that love of dancing is in her DNA!
    -Maureen/Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is just awesome. I love her and I'm sure she will get to the top.
    Felipe/Barcelona, Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am inspired by your expressions of life and encouraged by your spirit of living without fear of mistakes....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. JL: Why did you want to be a part of intersections?
    AMB: ... Our paths crossed because of our passion and commitment to dance.

    Alexandra, you choreograph words as well as motion - you are a poet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They say that a Scorpio's greatest strength is our passion about our feelings. You clearly love dance, and I hope it continues to be an important part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it's half as good as the piece I saw, I already love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. brought tears to my eyes. quite extraordinary

    ReplyDelete
  8. This piece was thought provoking and a joy to watch. I look forward to seeing what Alexandra does next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This piece was thought provoking and a joy to watch. I look forward to seeing what Alexandra does next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel Amanda FreidusMarch 9, 2010 at 12:30 PM

    Alexandra- you are a brilliant and talented choreographer. I'm very excited to see what you come up with over the years. :-) Mistakes was unbelievable, and you are extraordinary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alexandra - Inspiring choreography and well delivered message “learn from mistakes, gather strength from distress!” Loved it. Looking forward to the next piece.

    Maya Monroe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alexandra May Ballance is a true visionary whose sense of choreographic structure and composition is truly astounding, especially for a young lady of 11 years old. She has a true gift and creates beautiful, heartfelt and very 'sound' work. What a blessing she is to the arts community of DC and what an honor it was to be a witness to her piece. I am eager to see where all of Alexandra's 'gifts' take her in the future and consider myself one of her biggest fans!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dancing in 'Mistakes' was a wonderful experience. I absoultely love working with Alexandra and her grasp of choreographic structure is extrodinary. Dancing this piece at the Atlas was definitely one of my best dance experiences; I loved the choreography and the concept of the piece. Performing this was truly a satisfying experience.

    Thank you everyone for coming and supporting us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The stars are shining in the sky and although they may not see them I know are there. Congratulations on your success and your talent. Sometime I would love to see you dance. many kisses. Inma.Sevilla.Spain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alexandra... You truly "light up my life"...
    I loved watching "Mistakes" and knowing the way you described the feelings that went into this piece of art. You are a unique individual with so much to give to this universe. I am blessed to be your grandmother.

    Susan "PorPor" Shewchuk

    ReplyDelete
  16. My beautiful Alexandra is a joy and a delight. I am never surprised at the accomplishments she decides to tackle...I know her choreography will only get better as the experience and her maturity grows...Her interview also did not surprise me because I have come to know that her mind is a wondrous journey...and you never know where it will take you...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cousin Betty from Bayfield Colorado says...

    Make no "mistake" about it, Alexandra's creative genius, depth of character and charming personality makes her truly one of our family's brightest jewels. Keep on sparkling, Alexandra!

    Congratulations to all of you!
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every now and then, there comes along that rare, intuitive and very gifted artist. Alexandra is that artist. The piece had depth and meaning, and showed a level of choreography that, I think, is rare, for all Alexandra’s young years. And certainly her piece was well matched in its depth, beauty, grace and athleticism, by lovely Nicole Turchi.

    Alexandra, I am sure I am not alone in saying you held us spellbound! It will be exciting to watch you evolve and grow in your artistry. I look forward to seeing many more works. Thank you for the lovely and inspirational evening!

    Micki Altiveros

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so impressed by the thoughtfulness and depth in your comments, Alexandra. You are truly a special young woman.

    Janet Wong

    ReplyDelete
  20. Andrea Shewchuk BallanceApril 15, 2010 at 10:09 AM

    Dear Alexandra,
    “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away.” You, my dear, certainly take my breath away! You are an incredibly compassionate and thoughtful young lady. You are bright, humorous and fun loving.

    Always remember… “As I look into your eyes, I see all the reasons why my life is worth a thousand skies. You’re the simplest love I’ve known and the purest one I’ll own. No you’ll never be alone. My Baby, you, are the reason I could fly and cause of you I don’t have to wonder why. Baby, you, there’s no more just getting by, you’re the reason I feel so alive.”

    Thank you for bringing such joy to my life and to our world. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete