Monday, January 11, 2010

Intersections Artist: Politics and Prose

An Interview with Steven Roberts

Jacqueline Lawton: What type of artist are you?
Steven Roberts: I am a storyteller; I write books that use stories to help people understand their own lives and families.

JL: List five words that describe your personality.
SR: Adjectives are boastful so I’ll give you nouns: father, grandfather, husband, teacher, and friend

JL: What is the best advice you have to give?
SR: Believe in yourself, and stay in touch.

JL: What do you think will be cool about the festival?
SR: Being part of a new idea that I hope will eventually become a tradition.

JL: How do you feel your performance fits into the festival?
SR: Every artist tries to explain what life is all about. Some do it with their voice or their hands or their feet; others with a horn or a lute or a brush. I use words to paint and play and sing.

JL: Finish this sentence: I am an intersection of...?
SR: generations. My grandparents were born in Europe, my children and grandchildren are fully American. I stand between them, trying to understand the past and the future, the journeys my family has made, and the journeys that lie ahead.
~~
Politics and Prose Bookstore
Steven Roberts: From Every End of This Earth, a reading and book signing by the New York Times best-selling author capturing the stories of thirteen immigrant families and their lives in the new America.
Saturday, Feb 20 at 5pm
Lang Theater
Tickets: $5
For audiences ages 14 and up

www.politics-prose.com

No comments:

Post a Comment