Friday, January 15, 2010

Intersections Artist: The Folger Shakespeare Library

An Interview with Teri Davis Cross and Kim Roberts

Jacqueline Lawton: What type of artist are you?
Teri Davis Cross: I am a poet.
Kim Roberts: I am a writer, primarily of poetry, although I have also written plays and nonfiction.

JL: Why did you want to be a part of intersections?
TDC: It is such a great mix of artistry that I knew Folger Poetry could contribute something.

JL: Who are your heroes?
TDC: My mom, my grandmothers for all that they have been through and still manage to love and laugh.
KR: Walt Whitman, Marianne Moore, Gwendolyn Brooks.

JL: If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
TDC: I have no clue, perhaps a snake. I want some venom in my bite! And I want a sense of movement, ownership that would be all my own.
KR: I'd like to come back in another life as my cat. No one else has got it so good.

JL: What do you think will be cool about the festival?
TDC: All the various performances, I think the energy will just be intoxicating and inspiring!

JL: What is your favorite quote?
KR: This is from John F. Kennedy, 35th US President: “When power leads a man toward arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man’s concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses. For art establishes the basic human truths which must serve as the touchstone of our judgment.”

~~
The Folger Shakespeare Library
When Words Collide, a poetic response to life in today's America by professional and student writers, including poets Kim Roberts and Sami Miranda.
Saturday, Feb 27 at 5:00 PM
The Loft
Tickets: $10
For audiences ages 10 and up.
www.folger.edu/poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment