Thursday, January 14, 2010

Intersections Artist: Jon Carroll and The Jay Walkers

An Interview with Jon Carroll and Michael Shereikis

Jacqueline Lawton: How did you end up where you are now?
Jon Carroll: I began playing music at an early age, playing classical, boogie and gospel, and after a brief stint in college, studying Jazz, I accepted an invitation join a singing group. Linda Ronstadt recorded my song, Get Closer. Some other songs of mine have been recorded by Tom Jones and Kenny Rogers, among others. In 2006, I recorded and released my first solo work after many years called Love Returns, which won the Washington Area Music Association’s Wammie for Recording of the Year for 2006, along with Song and Songwriter and Musician of the Year. In 2007. I released a double CD live recording, Live Returns which I was proud to see become the recipient of 7 more Wammies, including Pop/Rock Recording of the Year.

JL: What type of artist are you?
Michael Shereikis: I’m a guitarist, songwriter, singer & producer, mostly of African music.

JL:Who are your heroes?
JC: In no particular order: Muhammed Ali, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Jerry Wexler, Little Richard, Martin Scorsese, Ahmet Ertegun, my wife, my mother, all my brothers and sisters.
MS: Truthfully, anyone who understands what respect means, and lives his or her life honestly and even courageously in that spirit.

JL: If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
MS: I am an animal, and if I could choose, I’d stick with my current species f’sho. Thumbs man, thumbs…

JL: If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
JC: In India, where my son Ben will be for 2 more months or so. I miss him terribly. My favorite thing is playing duo shows with him. He is a sublime and beautiful talent, with a saintly soul.

JL: What do you think will be cool about the festival?
MS: I like the openness of the thing. It’ll be fun and interesting to see what happens when artists come together over a project they wouldn’t normally undertake with one another.
JC: It promises to be a real celebration, an unleashing of creativity. My favorite album projects are the ones where a set group of players and singers are at the studio every day for a week or so. A touring company gets to explore a process that is seldom possible with one-off gigs and sessions. The circus bus pulls up, and all the clowns and acrobats come tumbling out to feel at home for a while. This is when magical things happen.

~~
Jon Carroll and the Jay Walkers
Jay Walkers at the Intersection, a concert explosion of stylistic connections among Grammy-winner Jon Carroll's signature pop and R & B, Nigerian artist Tosin Aribisala's jazz and Michael Shereikis' Afro-Funk.
Friday, Feb 26 at 7:30 PM
Sprenger Theater
Tickets: $15
For audiences of all ages.

Dance Party:
Saturday, Feb 27 at 11:00 PM
Sprenger Theater
Tickets: $5

Workshop:
Saturday, Feb 27 at 5:00 PM
Lab I
Tickets: FREE

No comments:

Post a Comment