Sunday, January 3, 2010

Intersections Artist: CityDance Ensemble

An Interview with Jason Garcia Ignacio, Choreographer

Jacqueline Lawton: What type of artist are you?
Jason Garcia Ignacio: I am a choreographer and a performer.

JL: Where were you born? How did you end up where you are now?
JGI: I was born in Manila, Philippines. I moved to New York City in 2001 to pursue my career as a performer. I joined CityDance Ensemble in November 2007.

JL:
How do you feel your performance fits into the festival?

JGI: Intersection is about bringing people together to make a difference. My dance speaks about environmental preservation and economic moderation. It also patches the gap between art and science which plays a vital part to a healthy planet. We need to be cognizant of what is hurting our environment but we also need to unite in order for us to succeed and that is what Intersections for me is all about.

JL: If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
JGI: I have done “Mistoffolees” in Cats several times and I think there is a reason for that. I am a very playful person and I am easily distracted with shiny objects.

JL: What is your favorite quote?
JGI: "If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." --Oscar Wilde

JL: What is your personal theme song?
JGI: “Somewhere Out There” from the movie An American Tail (1987)

JL: What is the best advice you have to give?
JGI: Allow yourself to make mistakes and follow what your heart tells you.

JL: What do you think will be cool about the festival?
JGI: This unique festival will educate people of different cultures. The festival will engender a deep understanding of beauty of all races and will bring unity in our community.

JL: Finish this sentence: I am an intersection of ...
JGI: I’m an intersection of different types of dance and cultures.
~~
CityDance Ensemble
The Mountain, a dance fusion of east and west by an award-winning Filipino choreographer.
Friday, Feb 19 at 7:30 PM
Sprenger Theater
Tickets: $15

For audiences ages 14 and up.
http://www.volcanodance.org/

CLICK HERE to watch a trailer of The Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment