Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Intersections Artist: Kathleen Gonzales

An Interview

Jacqueline Lawton: What type of artist are you?
Kathleen Gonzales: I don't like to define myself because I think that limits me as an artist. I don't want to think that I am only this or only that or only these certain things. But I can say what I am made up of and that I am still a work in progress. I am an actor and I have written one full length play that I also perform. I am passionate about my country of origin - Haiti - and my country of citizenship - The USA. I also care deeply about human beings and want to use my experiences in life to make a difference for other people.

JL: Where were you born?
KG: I was born and raised in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Because my mother is American, I was also born an American citizen.

JL: Who are your heroes?
KG: My father is my biggest hero. He always stood for what was right and was caring and compassionate towards everyone. He was also, an amazing father and was even a father figure for my friends who didn't have strong father figures in their lives.

JL: If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
KG: Someplace warm, it feels like it must 15 degrees outside right now. I wish I could be in Haiti. Even on its coldest day it's around 65 - 70 degrees.

JL: Why did you want to be a part of intersections?
KG: I wanted to be a part of intersections because I felt it was a great opportunity to be voice for Haitians and Haitian-Americans in the DC community. I felt that I could get behind the vision of Intersections and wanted to lend my hand to create a festival where people could explore race and culture through art in various different ways.

JL: What do you think will be cool about the festival?
KG: I think all the different possibilities of events and performances to people to participate in and the idea that we as the performers/presenters are one big family putting this big event together is really cool as well.

JL: How do you feel your performance fits into the festival?
KG: I think that people of most ages will be able to see my performance and will be able to see the US and Haiti through someone else's eyes. The play deals with race and culture and self- realization which fits in quite nicely into the theme of Intersections.

JL: Finish this sentence: I am an intersection of ...
KG: Caribbean and American; black and white; French, English and Haitian-Creole; Freedom and restraint.
~~
Kathleen Gonzales
The Bridge of Bodies, a one-woman, sixteen character unfolding of a Haitian-American's mission of self-discovery.
Friday, Feb 19 at 7:30 PM
Saturday, Feb 20 at 7:30 PM
Sunday, Feb 21 at 4:30 PM
Sunday, Feb 21 at 7:30pm
Friday, Feb 26 at 7:30pm
Saturday, Feb 27 at 9:30pm
Sunday, Feb 28 at 7:30pm
Lab II
Tickets: $15
For audiences ages 13 and up
http://www.kathleengonzales.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment