Sunday, January 3, 2010

Intersections Artist: The Washington Savoyards

An Interview with Michael Bobbitt, Director of Treemonisha

Jacqueline Lawton: Why did you want to be a part of Intersections?
Michael Bobbitt: It's a great way to celebrate many parts of what makes up my art. I believe in the Atlas and what it's trying to do to H Street. I also grew up 2 blocks away and saw my first movie at the Atlas.

JL: What type of artist are you?
MB: I think I'd rather let others decide. If I had to label it, I would say a "tall" artist. Sometimes, I like to direct, choreograph, and write plays.

JL: Where were you born? How did you end up where you are now?
MB: Even though I always wanted to say that I was born, the son of a share cropper, my birth is not so romantic. Born and raised in Washington DC. Studied in Pennsylvania and NY. Traveled the country and world touring and doing regional theater and came back to DC in 1996.

JL: What is the best advice you have to give?
MB: Live life, know your craft and respect the business!

JL: What is your personal theme song?
MB: To the Beat of the Rythm of the Night by Debarge...no....Singing in the Rain.

JL: What is your favorite quote?
MB: "Costumes don't have Calories" - Reggie Ray

JL: Who are your heroes?
MB: Anyone that has more than one child. There are many artists that I look up to Jerry Whiddon, Nick Olcott, Rob Marshall, Joe Calarco...the list is endless.

JL: How do you feel your performance fits into the festival?
MB: Treemonisha celebrates the history of a culture of people. Our production will heighten that by casting "the best person" for each role, regardless of race. And it's amazing Scot Joplin Music.

JL: What do you think will be cool about the festival?
MB: Experiencing many parts of the world in one building.

JL: Finish this sentence: I am an intersection of ...
MB: Black, White, Native American, Asian son, classical and folk training; all of which I hope comes out in theatre that is Joyous!
~~
The Washington Savoyards
Treemonisha by Scott Joplin, an intersection of classical opera form and the ragtime genius in a new production of a rarely performed American treasure, presented by DC’s favorite light opera company.

Friday, Feb 19 at 8:00 PM
Saturday, Feb 20 at 8:00 PM
Sunday, Feb 21 at 2:00 PM
Friday, Feb 26 at 8:00 PM
Saturday, Feb 27 at 8:00 PM
Sunday, Feb 28 at 2:00 PM
Friday, Mar 5 at 8:00 PM
Saturday, Mar 6 at 8:00 PM
Sunday, Mar 7 at 2:00 PM
Lang Theater
Tickets: $10 - $40
For audiences ages 8 and up.
http://www.savoyards.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment