Monday, January 18, 2010

Intersections Artist: DCypher Dance

An Interview with Natasha Hawkins

Jacqueline Lawton: What type of artist are you?
Natasha Hawkins: I’ve been dancing since I was four years old and my mom had me in every dance class you could think of from Ballet to Tahitian. Even today I like to dabble in lots of different styles, so in that case I can’t say I’m one type of artist. I’m just a person with a passion for performing.

JL: Where were you born? How did you end up where you are now?
NH: I was born and raised right here in Washington, DC. Funny thing is I live less than two minutes from the hospital where I was born.

JL: If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
NH: I love the water and swimming so any type of aquatic animal would be just fine with me!

JL: What is your favorite quote?
NH: I say a lot of things, “I support…” and “YESSSSSSS!!!!” but no particular quote.

JL: Why did you want to be a part of intersections?
NH: As the Rehearsal Director for DCypher Dance, being in this festival is an opportunity for our company to share hip hop and our experiences in exchange for listening and learning from others.

JL: How do you feel your performance fits into the festival?
NH: Our mission statement speaks directly to what this festival wants to accomplish. DCypher Dance focuses on developing new and innovative works of pure hip hop and fusion that are high energy, provocative, and “culture specific” for audiences of all ages and walks of life. DCypher Dance produces works that enrich and empower community through dances of understanding, tolerance, and celebration!
~~

DCypher Dance
DCypher 10.2: Co-Ed, A high-voltage hip-hop performance event by a boundary-breaking DC ensemble that will invite festival-goers to a new cultural crossroads -- step up and in!
Friday, Mar 5 at 9:30 PM
Tickets: $15
Sprenger Theater
For audiences ages 13 and up.

Dance Party:
Friday, Mar 5 at 11:00 PM
Sprenger Theater
Tickets: $5

For a six-week performance class leading to advanced participation in the show, go to: http://www.joyofmotion.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment