Thursday, February 18, 2010

NY Times best-selling author, Steven Roberts

"I am a storyteller, and I focus on the people who had the heart and heroism to leave their home countries and make new lives in a new and often strange land.

I speak of my own grandfather, Abe Rogow, who stole money from his father to became an early pioneer in Israel and then settled in the working class town of Bayonne, N.J. I speak of my parents, who lived one block away from each other when they met on my mother's 17th birthday, but wrote letters to convey their feelings because they were too shy to talk in person. I speak of Pablo Romero, who dropped out of school in rural Mexico at age 11, came to America as a farm worker, and eventually became a doctor in Salinas CA where most of his patients are farm workers, the children and grandchildren of the immigrants he worked with in the fields years ago.

When I tell these stories, I hope to open a conversation with my audience. I hope you will be moved to celebrate the heroes in your own families who made the journey to America, and to gather and preserve their stories for generations to come."
--Steve Roberts

Politics and Prose Bookstore
From Every End of This Earth, a reading and book signing by the New York Times best-selling author, Steven Roberts, capturing the stories of thirteen immigrant families and their lives in the new America.
Saturday, Feb 20 at 5pm
Lang Theatre
Tickets: $5
For ages 14+

http://www.politics-prose.com/

Audiocasts:
Interview on WOR News Talk Radio
Interview on The Diane Rhem Show

TV Appearances:
Riz Kahn Interviews Steve Roberts
Politico.com Video Clip
This America Interview (Once there, scroll down page)

Book Review:
The Washington Post Reviews, From Every End of This Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment