Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Message from Marva Hicks

"I have been blessed to be in on the ground floor of a production that was in it’s developmental stages. I was in CAROLINE OR CHANGE, by Tony Kushner and Jeanine Tesori for a total of two and half years. That time period covered the workshops, the Off-Broadway run and the Broadway production. Talk about exciting! The work was hard, and the process was extremely informative.

I now find myself in the development of my own project and I must say, having experienced this process in the past, have made it easier for me. What will ultimately end up on the stage is an unknown factor. There are daily rewrites and other production aspects to consider in building a show. And you must stay on track with telling the story you want to tell. I love it! During the first workshop last month, that was held in the Drama Department of the Division of Fine Arts at Howard University, I had an amazing time. I looked forward to showing up at rehearsal everyday. And to return to my HU roots was energizing and so very special. The interaction with the staff and our production team was priceless. This journey as it turns out is now about more than developing a show to encourage others, but it has become a vehicle of inclusiveness that informs and continues to teach us all, about how special the world of theatre is." --Marva Hicks
~~

Arena Stage's Musical Artist Marva Hicks
An Evening with Marva: Celebrating the Gospel Truth, a rich musical journey through song with singer Marva Hicks from her gospel roots to Broadway and beyond.
Saturday, Feb 20 at 7:30 PM
Sunday, Feb 21 at 2:00 PM
Sunday, Feb 21 at 7:30 PM

Sprenger Theatre
Tickets: $25
For ages 13+

http://www.arenastage.org/


Photos:
Top Left--Marva Hicks
Bottom Right--Composer, E. Harper and Director, Denise Burse Fernandez

No comments:

Post a Comment