Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hip Hop and Bollywood? Come see for yourself!

JOMDC’s Hip Hop, Bollywood Studio to Stage Performance Class will perform a piece choreographed by JOMDC faculty and DCypher Dance member, Nikki Gambhir at DCypher 10.2:Co-Ed.

Here is what Nikki had to say about her piece:

"The piece I’m presenting at Intersections is a fusion of Hip Hop and Bollywood dance set to music that remixes the more traditional Hindi and Punjabi sounds with American Hip Hop. The costumes reflect that intersection using flavors of India combined with Western styles while the movement comes from blending the signature moves of Bollywood with Hip Hop choreography.

I am an intersection of American & Indian culture. My father is from India and my mother is American. I’ve grown up enjoying the advantages of such a cultural mix, overcoming the challenges it sometimes presented and sincerely appreciating how it has made me who I am today. Dance is an innate part of Indian culture, at Indian celebrations everyone dances and kids are on the dance floor alongside their parents, aunts and uncles! I connected with Hip Hop because of its appeal through pop culture, I grew up with its influences through music and dance and I love its original messages of peace, love, unity and having fun!

I truly believe that the arts are an essential part of the community, of creating and maintaining us as people and I hope that my teaching and performing will help to promote positive and healthy expression through dance. The intersections of diverse dance styles and cultures, broadens understanding, speaks to a greater variety of people and heightens the enjoyment of the audience."

http://intersectionsdc.org/

Watch a compilation of our Adult and Youth Companies who you'll see at Intersections this year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7MhDEBblc

No comments:

Post a Comment