Thursday, January 28, 2010

Intersections Artist: Kevin Reese

An Interview

Jacqueline Lawton: What type of artist are you?
Kevin Reese: I would call myself a “collaborative artist,” that is, I have the ability to do the work myself but I choose not to. I like to involve other people in my process.

JL: Where were you born? How did you end up where you are now?
KR: I was born in California. I got a degree in theatre but I’ve been making mobiles since college. My wife and I met in California and moved to DC in 1989. We created a solo performance piece inspired by the work of Alexander Calder and that led to doing workshops and residencies.

JL: If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
KR: Probably Hawaii. I spent a year there working with a theatre company and it was pretty nice!

JL: What is your favorite quote?

KR: “When you think you know everything, you’re stuck with what you know.”

JL: Why did you want to be a part of intersections?

KR: Well, first of all my wife is the artistic director and she asked me. But I also think that the festival is an incredibly exciting event and totally unique to DC

JL: How do you feel your performance fits into the production?
KR: My mobile workshop will hopefully give people a chance to participate creatively and reflect on what they’ve seen and heard. Mobiles can do a lot of intersecting
~~
Balancing at the Intersection with mobile artist Kevin Reese

Participate in the creation of a moving piece of art! Make one of the many pieces that will come together to balance in a high-flying mobile built on-site at the festival. Mobile artist Kevin Reese, founder of SchoolSculptures, works with communities across the United States to envision, design and install playful visual celebrations of many parts becoming one beautiful whole. All ages are welcome to be a part of his unique INTERSECTIONS creation.
Saturday, Mar 6
2:00 - 5:00 PM
Lobby
FREE

www.schoolsculptures.com

1 comment:

  1. Full disclosure: Yes, he is the husband of the artistic director. But just see what he does: schoolsculptures.com.

    ReplyDelete